Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why Iron Cannonball?

In Anton Chekhov's The Seagull, the writer Trigorin goes on this crazy rant about how much he not only loves writing, but how obsessed he is with it. I was assisting with the sound board for the The Seagull when I was eighteen and about to go off to acting school. That's when I heard this monologue for the first time and was very touched by it. I didn't really listen until I was in my junior year in college. Tens of thousands of dollars later I realized that I wanted to be a writer. More specifically, a playwright.
Trigorin talks about how words that come to mind throughout the day cast around in his head like an iron cannonball. And so, that's where I got the title for this blog. I should have listened to Chekhov then, but I'm also glad that I didn't. I think actors turned playwrights have an advantage because they know what it's like to think like an actor and listen like an actor. They think and are summoned with their guts and instincts. I am always reminding myself to think like an actor when I'm writing or my characters turn into little idea-filled talking heads.
I love plays and playwriting so that's why I'm dedicating this blog to talking about it. I don't really think I'm in the position to give reviews of plays that I see, so instead I'll come up with three constructive words to describe the production. While I can't bring myself to writing reviews, I also can't say nothing. I way too opinionated for that.
Also, if people see theatre and want to talk about it, or have thoughts on playwriting, acting or theatre in general, I really want to hear about it, so please post to your heart's content.
Oh and for anyone who is curious, Carol Rocamora should be credited here for translating The Seagull that mentions the Iron Cannonball. Tom Stoppard also does a fantastic version of it because well, he's Tom Stoppard. I mean, come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment